07 March 2010

March 7/8

I forgot to take pictures, but I've made progress!  I stitched the dress and lining together around the armholes this evening, then pinned in the zipper so I could try it on.  The fit is perfect, and I like the way the finishing at neckline and armholes turned out.

I'm going to take up a very narrow hem, especially in the front - with the shoes I'm wearing (about a 2" heel) the dress is already looking borderline on the short side.  It'll be fine, but I want to take away as little length as possible with the hem.  I'd already planned to use hem tape, so I'll just stitch it very close to the edge of the skirt and barely turn it under.  The lining will have a more traditional "double-fold" hem, hopefully handstitched.

I also made up the top tier of the net petticoat and pinned it roughly in place to see how it works.  I think it'll give just the right amount of fulness - definitely there, but not too outrageous.  (Actually, I'm hoping the lower tier will give it some more "pouf" - it's looking still a little too flat - but I think it'll work.  If all else fails I'll go out and buy a few more yards of netting and add on!)

Tomorrow (or, later today, I suppose!) I hope to hand-stitch the zipper in place - as invisibly as possible - and get the netting finished with.  After that I'll just need to hem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome comments! My only request is that you keep your comments pleasant (no "bashing"!) and family-friendly.